Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sam Woods (8 week challenger)


My name is Sam and I'm a long-time friend of the good folks at Mixers. I've been asked to give an update on my 8 week challenge results so I'll get right to it:
This 8 week challenge could not have come at a WORSE time! For one, I used to be one of three HR generalists who supported the manufacturing plant that I work at. Since this challenge started, both colleagues have gone out on maternity leave. To top it off, my wife has been bed ridden for 9 of the last 12 weeks with severe morning sickness (there has obviously been an epidemic of fertility in my neck of the woods) and I've been playing mom and dad to two little girls while my wife struggles to keep down a swig of water.
But this 8 week challenge has taught me something: life is always going to happen. If a healthy diet and exercise isn't as much a part of our routine as breathing is, it just isn't going to happen consistently.
So, despite some missed workouts and an enduring love affair with Oreos and Peanut Butter M&Ms, I'm proud to say that to date, I'm 7 pounds lighter than I was 4 weeks ago. I'm feeling pretty good. I have 3 key races picked out this year (triathlons) and my goal is to set PRs in Sprint and Olympic distances. I am banking on this 8 week challenge to catapult me into the season lighter and quicker than ever before.
I'm having fun downloading all my rides and runs at http://www.trainingpeaks.com/ from my favorite new gadget, the Garmin 305 Forerunner. A great tool for anyone who gets a kick out of seeing their sweat and pain converted into neat little graphs.
Keep fighting the good fight, all you 8 week warriors! Looking forward to hearing about some of your adventures.
Sam

1 comment:

  1. You are doing great Sam!awesome job keeping it up among all the craziness!

    ReplyDelete