Saturday, March 20, 2010

8 week challenger (Andrea Schwab)


For me the 8 week challenge has been just that...a CHALLENGE! In a very frustrated frame of mind, I went into this with very unreal expectations for myself. I had the "I'm going all out, balls to the wall, go hard or go home" attitude. My initial plan was going to consist of working-out 5 days a week, getting really smart about my food intake and cutting out all the crap, losing 15 pounds and trying to find some balance in my day to day life. Needless to say, within just a couple of days reality set in and that hasn't been the case. I am not a patient person. Like many people, I want to see weight loss results right now, and when I don't I get very discouraged and end up giving up. I am not, nor have I ever been, a consistent exerciser and my brain struggles with the concept of "food can be my friend." I have always thought that if I'm working-out, food is my enemy--if I exercise, I can't eat or I'll undue everything I just did in my workout...and I detest working-out so why would I want to do it in vain? I have really struggled with trying to find a good balance, but not wanting to give up I have decided to get real with myself and set more realistic, attainable goals. I have refocused this 8 week challenge on retraining my brain. Where breakfast has never been important to me, since it only made me hungry all day, I have committed to eating it every morning. Where my daily diet once consisted not of food, but of 2-3 cans of Dr. Pepper (spread throughout the day as I was shuffling my kids all over creation,) I have now limited my soda consumption to 1 or 2 cans a week. And while I'm not exercising 5 days a week like had originally planned, I am making more of a concerted effort to be more active in my everyday life. I'm not going to lie, it has still been very difficult for me to change a lifetime way of thinking in just a few weeks. What I have learned thus far, however, is to start small and work my way up. After all, baby steps are better than no steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment