Thursday, January 28, 2010


Mandy Poll

For this 8 week challenge I set out with the goal to complete P90X, and to lose 5 pounds. I faithfully did P90X six days a week from the beginning of the challenge and through 5 weeks, noticing a dramatic difference in my overall fitness level. My love is running, and so I would incorporate running 3-6 miles once or twice a week also, and noticed I was a better runner for doing P90X also- stronger and a little faster (which isn't all that fast, so don't get too excited).
Three weeks ago we found out that my husband, who has been battling esophageal cancer for 2 years and has been to hell and back (literally) now has metastases to his liver and bone. And you may wonder where I am going with this or what this has to do with the 8 week challenge, but I'm here to tell you it has EVERYTHING to do with it! Exercise has been my anti-depressant through it all. I allow myself one daily "Hour of Angst" as I like to call it, where I exercise for an hour, doing whatever I need or want to do. Most days now it is running and pushups, crunches, dips, etc. It keeps me in a positive mindset, and gives me an outlet for any negative energy that might be buliding up! Exercise has HONESTLY kept me sane over the past 2 years, and I'm counting on it to continue to keep me sane.
On the diet side of things, my husband and I are now keeping far away from refined sugar, white flour, red meat, artificial flavors/coloring, and processed food and keeping our diet full of healthy raw fruits and vegetables, lean white meat, and whole grains. And it has been easy. In the past when I have tried to stay away from sugar, or dramatically change some aspect of my diet it seemed so hard. Obviously when you are doing it to save your life or a loved one's life everything changes. I realize now that it's not just about looking your best (although that is a bonus), it is literally, for us, about life or death. Oh, yes. I did lose 5 pounds and I did lose 3% body fat! I'm getting ready to train for the Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay, which will fill my daily Hour of Angst and then some. :)
Mark Pittard:
Well, I will be honest, this eight week challenge wasn't my best showing. A lot of holiday food and getting out of the routine of working out didn't help me accomplish what I wanted to this eight week challenge. I have noticed that portion sizes matter. When I am working out hard, and watching what I eat, the faster I lose the weight and get the results that I want. The biggest part of my body that I want to work on is my abs. I can do all the crunches I want, but if I dont change my diet than I wont get the results i need. Scott has shown me first hand a new ab workout that I have been doing for the past week and have felt ammazing results. My diet is going to be key these next eight weeks. Mind over food. As long as I am eating right I will get my desired results. Also, I want to improve my quickness. Does anybody have any good ideas on how to besides sprints. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment