Thursday, September 9, 2010

Shocking your system and getting knockout results!




Drew Cavner
Hey blogspot, it's been a while! On August 20th I participated in my first organized boxing tournament and it was amazing! For the last year or so I had been training for size and strength so when I saw the flyer for boxing tournament I knew this was an opportunity to not only test my skills, but to also change up my eating and training habits. For the last 2 and a half months I took matters into my own hands and decided to train myself. At first it was very difficult for me because I had been so used to doing a certain type of training for so long. After about 2 and a half weeks I began seeing the results that I wanted. My cardio was increasing rapidly and my body started to get used to the training that had been so foreign to my body. Most of you that know of or have seen professional boxers know that they are in the most ridiculous shape. Every single one have them has ripped 6 packs, and it looks as if they are some type of science experiment. They train so hard and for so long that it is nearly impossible for them to hold on to body fat. Moral of the story, cardio training was key. I knew that if I wanted to last 3 fights in one night I would have to come into the ring in great shape. Even if you don't ever plan on competitively boxing this is still something you can throw into your normal routine to help kick start your fat burning furnace. All in all this program helped me go from 228 to 212, and the majority of it was fat loss. Naturally anytime you lose weight some of it will be muscle, but supplementing with a few key ingredients helped spare most of my muscle.


The key to the weight workout is no rest! DO NOT REST!




Bench press: 135 x 30 for 4 sets
Pull-ups: x 10 for 4 sets


Incline press: 135 x 20 for 4 sets
Bent over barbell Row: 135 x 20 for 4 sets


Alternate lateral to front to rear delt raise: 35 x 20 for 4 sets
Overhead plate squat on half stability ball: 45lb. plate x 25 for 4 sets


Dumbbell bicep curls: 50 x 10 for 4 sets
Rope Tricep extension: machine weight x 25 for 4 sets


Now that you're done with the weights it's time to hit the cardio room.


3 sets of jump rope


Jump rope for 1 minute straight. Take 30 seconds to rest then repeat 2 more times.


5 sets of 10 twenty 10's

Take take 3 small plates (2 1/2 or 5 lbs). Lay them in a straight line.


(starting point)
!
O--------------------------O---------------------------O
x--------------------------->
<------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------(run through) Start in the middle, run 10 yards to one of the outside plates, touch it with hand, run to the other outside plate, touch with hand, then run passed the middle plate. They call these shuttle runs or 10 twenty 10's. Make sure you're running as hard as you can the entire time. Rest 1 minutes then repeat again until you do it 5 times. Heavy bag hit
This one will take some work to get good at. All you need to do is try punching the heavy bag as long as you can. Do this for 4 sets. Try to push yourself as long as possible. Set small goals for yourself. Shoot for 2 minutes the first week for each set, then go for 3 or 4 the next week.










Supplements used :
Maximize (pre-workout / creatine)
Elite Gourmet (protein)
Vpx (bcaa's)
Glycomaize (carb powder)

No comments:

Post a Comment