Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Getting Results


Scott Schwab:

In the world of exercise and nutrition, we do things to get results! We go to the gym, we sacrifice foods we love, and even push ourselves further than we think we can. Results is what we all crave. I would be willing to argue that it influences everything that we do. Why would we start doing something if we did not expect to get results? In exercise to get results, there are certain things that we have to do to get to that point. We all want results, but are we willing to do what needs to be done to get those results? The question is usually answered based on how dedicated you are to your goals and even whether you take those goals seriously. The main thing that must be established is your why. Why are you doing, what you are doing? I hope that each of us are doing the things we want to do for ourselves and possibly the ones we love. It is great to do things because our spouse or a loved one, but when the rubber meets the road and things get tough, unless you have a strong why, people usually take the road more traveled. The why is so important and should be intrinsically tied to your goals. Goals are not real unless they are written down. Visuals are very stimulating for your mind and body. This is why it is helpful to have the goal always visible and pictures of what you want to obtain or what you would like to leave behind are so powerful. It may sound hoakie, but it is so real. I promise that if you try it, you will see a difference. Finally I would like to leave you with a quote that I try and live my life by. "If you want the results that everyone has, do what everyone else does. If you want the results that nobody gets, do what nobody will do." This applies to everything in life, and if you are willing to put in the time and effort, you will not be disappointed. I talked to a man years ago that told me about his son Scott. This son was a machine. He worked out constantly and did it with a 20 pound weight vest. He would run stairs, sprints, and lift like crazy. The man told me of his sons physique and accomplishments and I was floored. His son is now challenged mentally and physically. Apparently he went in to the hospital with a ruptured appendix. The procedure was going to be performed while he was asleep. Everything seemed to go normal until later that night, his sister walked in his room to find him arched in a way that he was as stiff as a board and in such a pained position he could not even scream. Panic ensued and doctors and nurses flooded the room. When the anesthesiologist gave Scott his medicine, he accidentally gave him to much of his dose and without proper research, the medicine was something that Scott was allergic too. When I talked to his father I asked him if he was going to bring a suit against the hospital or what he was going to do. He said Scott is still alive and we have him only because he worked incessantly to be in shape. Each year Scott becomes a little more functional, but unfortunately he will never be able to return to his mental and physical capacity. However, his parents love him dearly and they still get to enjoy him on a daily basis.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for the post... very inspiring. I have decided tonight when I work out that I'm going to take a picture and send it your way for the eight week challenge. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wear a weighted vest (The Walkvest-16#) during my power walks and exercise program. I can definitely feel the exertion difference and I know I am burning extra calories and adding to my workout. And because I am a small woman, the extra weighted workload helps me build bone density to avoid osteoporosis.

    ReplyDelete