Thursday, February 18, 2010

Food for Thought


Chandi Schwab

What you have around the house available is very key in strengthening your healthy habits. We eat what we have around, so if all we have is processed food and junk food that is what will eat because it is fast and convenient. First of all, I would like encourage you to get rid of all of that junk or at least minimize it by a ton and start over. Some people think that eating healthy is expensive but it really doesn't have to be. I want to give you some ideas of foods to stock up on. Next time your go to the store make a grocery list and have these healthy foods in mind. Be sure to only buy the things on the list. This is also a great way to save money.

1.fat free milk
2. eggs
3.Yo- plus yogurt/low fat yogurt
4.fat free cottage cheese/low fat
5.100% whole wheat bread
6.whole wheat wraps
7.fat-free sour cream
8.brown rice
9.natural almonds
10. tuna fish
11.ground turkey
12.chicken breasts
13.whole wheat pasta
4.fresh or frozen veggies of your choice
15.frozen fruit for smoothies
16.bananas
17.oranges or cuties
18.apples
19. grapes
20.strawberries
21.oatmeal
22.honey
23.carrots
24.celery
25.all natural peanut butter/ Skippy's tastes great!
26.whole wheat flour
27.craisins
28.popcorn/low salt and butter
29.turkey for sandwiches
30.salad stuff/we love chicken salad w/ raspberry vinaigrette
31.Wheaties
32.reduce fat wheat thins
33.propel packets/these make your water flavorful/ great alternative to juice or pop

These are examples off of the top of my head of things that we get at the store. Tonight we had spaghetti for dinner. We had it with ground turkey mushrooms and marinara sauce over whole wheat pasta. It tastes delicious and is so much healthier. Soon I will post more healthy recipes including healthier cookie recipes so stay tuned!





2 comments:

  1. Chandi--have you heard of the cookbook "Eating for Life?" It's written by the guy that does the "Body for Life" diet. The reason I bring it up is that it was recommended to me by Grady's cousin who is a serious athelete along with her husband. They have five very active kids and she was having a hard time putting together healthy meals that act as fuel and also taste good. She found this cookbook, and it incorporates everything you have listed here on this list. We've been using it this past 2 weeks and we have really enjoyed every recipe that we've made so far. We're not following the diet 100% (I'm following it closer than anyone), but the recipes are easy to prepare using very fresh ingredients, which is why I would recommend it to anyone trying to eat healthy and also feed a family. The whole point is to learn simple ways to put healthy proteins and carbs together and still make great meals. I've been finding that I can adapt a lot of my regular recipes to fit this model. Anyway, if you want to look it over, let me know and I'd be happy to lend it to you. Another really helpful tip that it has is to plan out meals a week at a time. I'm not organized enough to plan breakfast and lunch quite that far in advance, but I've been planning dinner several days ahead of time and it has saved me so much stress and worry, plus I buy the fresh ingredients and have them on hand and I use them before they spoil! Have a great day! Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meredith!That sounds great!I have the body for life book, and would love to get that book for the recipes. I will have to talk to you more about it!

    ReplyDelete