Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cross Fit







Scott Schwab:

Saturday was my day of reckoning with a race that I signed up for. It is called Metro Dash and happens in about a dozen cities across the nation. It was a lot of fun and very challenging. The idea behind the race is to not only challenge yourself by distance, but interval training in between. The race also showcases a great obstacle course to start the race and again at the end.


I will tell you that the race itself pushed me to my physical limit and passed my mental limit. I started the race with the goal of not walking. I also wanted to finish under the course recommended time. One of those goals I accomplished and the other I did not accomplish.


The benefit to cross training is the ability to appropriately work the entire body, with the benefit of keeping the heart continually on its toes. Different exercises require different paces. It also does a number on the body from a muscle confusion point of view. Exercises are strategically placed as to challenge all parts of your body.


Here is a review of what you could expect when the MetroDash comes to your city or a city near you.


The Gauntlet is the obstacle before and after the run and it consists of
-Rope Swing
-TRX Rows
-Tire Toss
-Sled Pull
-Weighted Ball throw
-Vertical jumps
-Wall climb

The run is about 4.5 miles with stations throughout the run where we do
-Tabata Push ups
-Burpees
-Star Jumps
-Bear Crawl
-Lunges
The way they have it set up and the amount of time you have to do each exercise makes it pretty intense.I highly reccomend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment