Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Day of Reckoning


Scott Schwab:


It is interesting how the last day of competition actually ended on the day of my triathlon. I learned so much about myself and about my training. I have always thought that if I was doing the equivalent to the race, that the day of, I would be fine. It was a great atmosphere with everyone smiling and happy to be there. A couple of times I thought are people really this happy? They write with pen on your arms and calves your race number and your age. I didn't understand the age until I was getting passed by people older then me. I think it is a motivator so you think "oh I just got passed by a girl, and she is actually 40". Whatever the reason, I thought that it was a dirty little trick, but did motivate me throughout the race. As the race approached my butterflies were on alert. I could listen to my i-pod while running which was a great thing for me. When I hear myself breathing I seem to get more tired, which is weird. Anyway, the race started and I was off. I started with a good pace, but quickly found that my quad muscles were feeling very fatigued. I decided that I would need them for the biking and slowed my pace. The run was definitely the hardest for me. The bike felt really good, but I rented the bike so I had no time on the bike before the race. After putting my helmet on the wrong way and not being able to get my feet into the baskets, I was off. I was really loving the bike until the hill, which I did not shift down enough and paid the price. Disappointingly, I was wearing running shoes and my lace got tied up in the peddle. I could not peddle anymore and had to get off the bike and sit on the ground to try and untie my mess. It took forever and mixed with the muscle shakes and adrenaline you would think that it was the first time that I had ever tied shoes. Additionally I had gloves on and you really can't do anything in gloves I have decided. Once I double knotted my shoes I was off again and it was going great, but I started to really get tired and kept looking for the tables of water. They were nowhere to be found. After finishing the biking I tried to transition as quickly as possible, and I found that my bike actually was acting as my walker. I jumped in the pool only to find that it was much like an assembly line, where for some reason regardless of the lane I was choosing I kept getting a karate kick to the face. When I got out of the water and ran to the finish line, I felt something that I have not felt in a long time. Victory! No I did not win, I would bet that I did not even finish in the top 100. However, it was incredible and I finished. I never stopped and pushed myself harder then I ever remember doing in the past. I found though that I learned a couple of things that will help me for my next race; which I will definitely do, and for any of you that may be thinking about doing the same.


-Spend time training outside


-Have water with you during the race


-Spend consistent time on the bike you will use for the race


-Specific biking shoes would be a great addition


-Challenge yourself everyday in training and the day of the race


Like everyone I saw there, the satisfaction of finishing was incredible. If you have never felt that feeling, start training, because you will get hooked. Words really do not explain how you feel when you finish and you know you did your best. Even if a 13 year old passes you on the biking course, everyone goes home a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment