Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Passion of a fat kid


Scott Schwab
I was reminded today by a friend of my obvious propensity to unhealthy living when I was young. I was reminded when I was a 12 year old, that I put ranch on everything. Truthfully it made life a little tastier and it really wasn't weird until I tried it on my cheerios. Just kidding, but I am sure you can imagine. In thinking back on those days I remember how much of my life I was very passionate about what I was eating. I still have this passion today, but my focus has changed. Rather than focusing on an amount and the particular condiments that I would put on each meal, I am passionate about eating the best that I can. I am passionate about finding the best ways to eat and eat right. In thinking about how this can apply, I believe it is the focus. The passion is there! Think in your own life about what you are passionate about or when you are most passionate. This passion can be transferred to other activities or they can transfer your life. Seriously, take a test and apply the theory of a habit. If you can think of what you are passionate about and then start breaking down the reasons why. Figure out everything you can about they whys. Mentally, physically, even socially. If you can find the tie or the link, start with the transferring of energy. The biggest motivators are fear and love. So with this passion of yours tie it to the fear of losing or the reward of love. For 21 days you will need to do an activity that will invoke the love or fear for that activity. Keep it in your mind and think about it as much as you can. After those 21 days you will have a transferred passion and a habit that is new and enjoyable. I want to get some feedback on this. I have done this in a couple of different areas. Reading books has been one as well as living a healthier lifestyle. It is true, I used to be a butter ball, speaking of which have you ever tried turkey with ranch dressing?

2 comments:

  1. LOL- I remember those days around Sher-bear's table watching you hammer the ranch dressing like it was your job. Glad to hear you've given that up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to this! I've been working on turning my passion for food into a passion for eating right and living healthy. When it's time for a meal I often ask myself, "Is this the best thing I could be giving my body?" And when the answer is YES! I find I enjoy the food all the more. Part of what helps me make these decisions is www.caloriecount.com This site is great and free to use. It has really made me aware of how many calories I consume in a day as well as the nutritional value of all kinds of foods, especially fast foods.

    ReplyDelete