Friday, November 27, 2009

Food for Thought


Scott Schwab
Today's post will actually be a couple of different approaches and opinions of things I know little about. 1 week ago I went to a raw food restaurant called Bliss Raw Cafe http://www.blissrawcafe.com/. It was the most interesting place that I have chosen to eat at and enjoyed my visit. I went with an open mind and found that the food was not that bad. I had a chance to sit down and talk with the owner; a women named D. She is wonderful and such a passionate person about what she is doing. She is opening a second restaurant in Dallas and we wish her the best. If you are ever in Dallas, make sure you go. The thing I liked the most about her concept, is health. Everything at the restaurant was so healthy and it felt good having a healthy option. I felt lighter after my meal than eating a burger and yet I was satisfied. As time goes on, we will have more healthy decisions to choose from and it will come down to lifestyle. The decisions we make turn into our habits, and our habits become our lifestyle. So if we can start implementing healthy decisions, as the healthier food becomes more readily available; we have made those decisions in the past and we can surely make them in the future. As I left Dallas and was on a plane I read an article about Jonathan Safran Foer. His newest book, Eating Animals; is an interesting look into the world of vegetarianism. Possibly controversial for some, it is a different point of view that may be worthwhile. I am not a vegetarian and do not know much about it. However; if any of our readers are, I would love to have you post on benefits, challenges, lifestyle, and simply the choice. Foer put it this way: "We eat merely to get full. It's nice to have a chosen approach to food; eating a certain way- even if its arbitrary, although my vegetarianism is the opposite of arbitrariness- brings consciousness to an everyday act that rarely calls for any."
The point is, it remains our choice. We should all look at the benefits to alternative eating habits and lifestyles. Change is difficult, however you slice it, but know that the change lies within you. If change does occur or at least the option; our decision is educated and thought out. My personal opinion is to have all things in moderation. That way I do not feel deprived of anything that I would chose to eat, but the decision is still mine with portion control. Whether you eat raw foods, your a vegetarian, or you simply eat the basics of the food pyramid; the choice is yours, and not much will change until a decision is made by you with how you will live and how you will eat.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I was particularly struck by this sentence: “The decisions we make turn into our habits, and our habits become our lifestyle. So if we can start implementing healthy decisions, as the healthier food becomes more readily available; we have made those decisions in the past and we can surely make them in the future.” I think you’re right on that we’re use to our choices becoming habitual responses. It makes me wonder, what possibilities would open if our choices were consciously rooted in an intention to move forward…to evolve…to see ourselves as actual vehicles FOR change rather than being separate or victims suffering from it? Living from a perspective like this would undoubtedly uproot our center of gravity and catapult us into a new realm of possibility where our motivation becomes completely transformed, reorienting our relationship to life. Here we stop be making healthy decisions for the sake of ourselves, or even because it is the culturally popular and “right” thing to do, but we do it because we feel on a deep, visceral and soul level the tug of responsibility and personal obligation to make these choices for the for the sake of evolution… development, ….for the sake of consciousness itself. How better to make a better future than to consciously cultivate and create it?
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts & getting this conversation going!
    Cheers,
    Amber
    http://community.eatingforevolution.com/

    ReplyDelete