Sunday, February 15, 2009

Triathlon Training


Thanks again to Mixers for allowing me to guest post this week. I'll get right to the point because I know you all have a lot to do. that is actually what I want to talk about: how you can get the most out of every workout. I've been thinking a lot about this as my training for the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati in May is ratcheting up and I'm starting to log a significant amount of miles each week.
I'm still very much a rookie to endurance sports but I have now completed at least one triathlon from 3 of the 4 major distances, sprint, olympic and half-ironman (the ironman is still a few years out). To this point my biggest goal has been simply to finish the race. Basically, short of coming in last place or piggy-backing a friend, I have been happy just crossing the finish line and having my name be called out on the megaphone.
But I am now to the point where just finishing isn't ok anymore. I have a baseline for my performance and it is exciting to push myself harder and see PRs in training and on race day. This is easy for folks who aspire to turn pro. They quit their day job, get some sponsors and do nothing but workout, sleep and eat. Well, I don't want to go pro and I don't want to quit my day job and I don't have any more time to spare. Now what?
Fortunately, there is still a lot of mileage (pun fully intended) you can get out of your workouts while not spending much extra time. For endurance athletes, this means mixing it up (there is my shameless plug for Mixers Nutrition). Stop logging the mindless miles day after day expecting to get faster. Because you won't. You have to combine speed work, hills, tempo runs and long runs to be a better marathoner for example. And the paradox is, switching up the workouts and getting faster doesn't mean putting in any more time. Speed work and hills will be quicker than your normal runs yet you'll see dramatic results. Throw in some core and upper body workout and you're on your way to a PR.
That being said, planning your training is the next critical key to success. Often times I get busy and try to squeeze in a workout on the spur of the moment. I don't have a specific goal in mind when I do this. Consequently, I am not getting the most out of my workout. I'm not expert at this but I'm trying to be a better planner and implement these different workouts to improve my performance. Whatever your goal or sport, plan well and mix up your workout intensities. Your race times will thank you.
(photo of Andy Potts, a stud pro triathlete I really like)

No comments:

Post a Comment