Saturday, February 14, 2009

For All You Women Out There!!


I feel like it is fitting to start out by sharing with you how health and nutrition has changed my life. Growing up I was always very active. I took dance classes, gymnastics, cheerleading, and track. I have always had a passion for running. And that is something that I enjoy keeping up with.
About a year and a half into college my life was changing rapidly. I was working at a phone center at nights. I had started cosmetology school, was newly married, and to our surprise expecting a baby. We had only been married 3 months when we found out and it was a big surprise. I easily let my schedule take control of me. I ate whatever was available whenever I could fit it in, and rarely made time for exercise. I didn’t realize how rapidly I was gaining weight because I was so focused on everything else and I guess I just figured that is how being pregnant was. It wasn’t until I looked back at pictures that I really realized how unhealthy I was and looked. Throughout my pregnancy I was emotional and miserable .My labor and delivery topped it all off. Long and treacherous!
A year after a lot of running and a lot of hard work my weight finally came off. I had decided at that point that I would not ever let that happen again. When it came time for us to try again for another baby I decided that I was going to maintain my health and fitness. I decided to keep my routine going as long as I felt comfortable with it. I would run 6 miles every day and when I got back I would have a whey protein shake. It was a drastic difference for me. I had energy, I wasn’t nearly as moody, and I felt confident and happy. At about 6 months along I moved my workout into the gym. I would use the elliptical and the bike so that I could be lighter on my feet. The energy was always there. Up until the day I delivered. I went into labor naturally two weeks early and it was a breeze. (Well…in comparison) I dedicate my success to working out and drinking my protein shakes. I also had more control over what I ate. I still enjoyed my snacks and desserts, but it was all in moderation. I want o share this story with every woman out there whether pregnant or not because it is so worth it!
The important thing to remember is that before anything else…we need to be happy with the foundation that we have. Nutrition and exercise are very important. Mostly to help us stay healthy and balanced. If we are happy with the way we feel and with the energy that we have, that is what is most important. From there we can pin point different areas that we wish to improve. Sometimes it is comforting to remember that we are all in the same boat. Each striving to become better!

1 comment:

  1. From the husbands point of view, I also noticed a stark contrast in the pregnancies. Chandi is a fighter and has always given her all to everything she does. If I could pass on one thing while pregnant is get a schedule for eating, weights, cardio, and of course the vitamins and supplements. Once you try it you wont go back.

    ReplyDelete