Sunday, February 8, 2009



My friends at Mixers Nutrition really polished up the facts about me in the introduction! But I am excited to be a guest author for the next few weeks and talk about health, specifically for aspiring endurance athletes. I am entering my fourth season of competing in triathlons and I'm in training for my first marathon (Flying Pig in Cincinnati on May 2). My focus in this article will be mostly on triathlon because that is what I am most familiar with but the basics will apply to any endurance sport you are interested in.
Endurance sports are all about balance. One of the best parts of endurance sports is the sensitivity you can develop for listening to and understanding your body. There is a delicate balance between optimal performance on race day and a season-ending injury due to poor training. There is a balance between running out of energy mid-course due to under-eating and putting on extra weight because you overestimate your caloric needs. Each season I figure out new things about my body's balance and what I can do to train and eat smart, stay injury-free and in overall good shape. But there is a larger element of balance that is even more important which I'll focus on in this post: the balance of where your goals as a triathlete should fit into the rest of your life. My wife will be the first to tell you that I am still a work in progress. I constantly look to her for feedback in helping me maintain an appropriate balance.
But this much I know: I'll never stand on top of the winner's podium. Even if I had the God-given ability to do so, that just isn't my priority. I have way too much going for me in my roles as a husband, father, student, employee and church & community volunteer to allow triathlon to consume that much of my life. But everyone is different. What is balance for me may not be for you. I have to tip my hat to the studs at the Ironman World Championship every year in Kona who pound out 140.6 miles in 8 hours! It is inspiring. It makes me want to improve. But that is where it stops. I am not willing to give up aspects of life that I cherish to run a 3 hour marathon.
Anne and I have tried to incorporate triathlon into our family activities and it has been a great way to stay balanced. For example, we bought Trek's Doodlebug jogging and biking stroller two years ago so our two daughters can go with us on runs and rides (pictured above). We drop the girls off at the gym so we can swim laps and afterward we all jump in together. For our 5th year wedding anniversary, Anne and I did a triathlon together in West Virginia. Like I said, everyone is in a different place in life. But finding out what works for you in balancing your athletic goals is part of the fun. More to come about finding balance in training and nutrition. Stay balanced!

1 comment:

  1. I like the simplicity of the message. Staying balanced is great advise and something that we can all benefit from. You know why you compete and you know that it is ok not to be the best at triathalons, but that you can be your best self. Well said and I look forward to your posts each week.

    ReplyDelete