Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Legs


Scott Schwab

I wanted to post on the one muscle group that most of us work everyday all day long. Our legs are so key to our general physical health and ability. I have a workout that is sure to get the legs worked properly and extend the work out to your entire body. I am a huge proponent of getting a whole body workout and working your abs as much as possible. This workout will require you to do 3 stations and end with sprints if you are feeling it. You will start with the squat bar and do progressive sets increasing the weight each set. Your goal should be to do 10 reps per each set. I will usually start with 45's on either side, and do my 10 reps, and then add 25's, 35's, and finally 45's to end with 225 10 times. I do not max out, one because I don't have a spotter and the other because I incorporate a couple of other exercises to get my entire workout. The squat is one of those workouts that is great for the entire body; and here are a couple more. In between your sets with the squat you will go over to a bench and situate yourself looking at the bar of the bench, but at the end of the bench. Your goal will be to jump side to side and over the bench 20 times as fast as you can. Start with the 20 and you can work up from there. You can do the 20 reps in 4 separate sets. (This is station two after your squat). Station 3 and your final stage for the day is to do lunges. These are slightly different because you will want to take dumb-bells of average weight(35 pounds) and hold them down at thigh level. Choose a 20 yd distance in the gym and lunge baby lunge. The purpose is to make them tight and solid. Don't worry about speed or stride. Keep it normal like your regular stride. As you get to the one side you are not done. Turn around and place the dumb-bells as if you were resting them on your shoulders, hands facing forward. The difference is putting the weight in a different area and will work the body in an entirely different way that you will love. The other secret with all of this is to flex your abs as much as you can through the workout, especially for the squats and the lunges; it is difficult to flex your abs as you are doing the parallel jump over the bench. Anyway if this is not enough and you have some more energy, do 10 sprints progressively faster with 30 second rests between the sprints. I love this work out and do it once a week. I promise you will be sore the first couple of days, but it is that good soreness that will drive you harder. Let me know what you think and shoot me a comment or email after you try it. Good Luck

1 comment:

  1. Wow... ok, squats, lunges and sprints all in the same workout. That is throwing down the gauntlet. I'm going to give 'er a try tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete