Saturday, March 21, 2009

Happiness is a decision


Kimmi Cowley

“Happiness is a decision.” True happiness stems from great friends…family and good health. The decisions we make on an everyday basis have a huge impact on each of these areas. It is never too late to start making decisions to improve our happiness. My name is Kimmy Cowley and I am 19. As Scott mentioned, I am a busy college student, I have a job and still find time to work out regularly! While growing up I was always involved in something active whether it was dance, cheer, track or even riding bikes with my friends. I find that on days when I am active, I feel more energetic, productive and happy. I decide to start each day with an up-beat attitude and look for ways to improve myself. My personal goal is go to the gym at least five times a week and do cardio and weight lifting. I run 5 miles on the elliptical each time and lift weights using free weights at least 2 times a week. I like to stand on an upside down Bosu while working my biceps, shoulders and even squats to work on my core and balance as well. Each morning I start off with breakfast such as a fruit smoothie and scrambled eggs. I find when I eat breakfast, I am not as hungry throughout the day! Whenever I feel an urge to eat between meals, I eat fruit to keep me satisfied.Many people get frustrated when they start diets and working out because they don’t see change right away. We need to think of it as improvement in the long run. I start by making small goals that I am able to accomplish in that day. Such as….’Today I am going to run 2 miles’. By doing this, it gives me hope that I can do bigger and greater things. Each day, I add a little more to progress and change it up a bit. Start including goals to make healthier choices on what you eat. I try not to eliminate things out my diet because then I just crave them more. To eliminate sounds so negative over something I love so much(my craving is skittles). So I change a negative into a positive and focus on finding healthier choices that I also like. I choose to eat dried fruit such as raisins, crasins and prunes. NO really!!!! I LOVE dried prunes from Trader Joe’s!Remember our happiness begins with ourselves and our personal daily decision making. Making good decisions and taking control will improve our personal healthy lifestyle. It will also improve our relationships with family and friends because of our decision to wake up in the morning with an up-beat attitude.

2 comments:

  1. Kimmi, very impressive. You summed up everything that a person can do and should do. Exercise is a persons lifeline to more productive living and a happier lifestyle. Your suggestions are right on and come at a great time. I think everyone is working on their summer bodies and you give the timely advice that will help everyone. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like such a disciplined person and have such a great attitude! What else are you eating?

    ReplyDelete