Monday, February 21, 2011

It Starts...Now don't give up!



Chandi Schwab
This picture of me does not do justice but here is the background behind it. Saturday was a windy rainy day. The perfect day for an 18 mile run right? Well, 18 miles was on my schedule and I have commited myself to the schedule so that is what I went out and did. It started off not bad at all, a little bit of rain was refreshing and I was enjoying a nice saturday run. I love to run and there are so many reasons why, but for some reason I hit a low. I had about 3 1/2 miles left. My body ached, my Garmin had stopped working, I was soaking wet and cold from head to toe and I just wanted to give up. Not just with that 18 mile run but with everything that had to do with training for a marathon and reaching my Boston goal.
I don't know where this came from and how it came about so quickly but it played a huge role in my emotions at the time. I figured there was no point in stopping to walk because I had to get home somehow and that would take way too long, so I tried to sort out my thoughts. Not much changed throughout the remainder of my run but when I got home I had Scott take a picture of me to represent that low.
A friend just reminded me that with every low there is a high. I believe this and know that so much strength comes through overcoming our lows. We have to have lows to appreciate the highs. Looking back on the run I really don't understand what the big deal was but I know we can easily get in a negative mindset and let that mental trap get the best of us. A shout out to all of our new 8 week challengers...It starts today and you will do awesome!Remember to beat those lows and that it is okay to have slip ups, it's being strong enough to get back on board that truly matters. Whether you are participating in our challenge, or in your own, or you just want to make changes in your life, remember that you are the only one you need to compete against. Small goals are the first steps to achieving your dreams!Good Luck!Oh...and qualifying for Boston here I come!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. I'm glad i don't have any pictures of me at my lows. It's not a pretty sight. I agree though running is not always fun, it's not always easy. But you just keep doing it and then all of a sudden you reach your goal and all the lows don't seem so bad anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chandi, you are so amazing. You inspire me so much. I feel like such a loser when I look at all you are able to accomplish. I am so proud of you! You will qualify for Boston, there is no doubt in my mind.

    ReplyDelete