Thursday, October 8, 2009

Workout with music


Scott Schwab
Today, there are very few people who are not working out with an MP3, I-pod, or some other form of electronic enjoyment. Music is a great motivator for working out and we should really think about what goes into our play list. Let me explain. It has been proven that a student will retain more and actually do better cognitively and academically, when listening to classical music such as Mozart or Beethoven. Studies have also been shown that when shopping in a retail store, the best music is something with a light beat, not blaring load, and a music selection that is happier music. I took this into thought with what we are listening to while we workout. I have a mix that is set for different things. I have a few suggestions and would love to hear back from you with what types of music gets you up and going.
Cardiovascular
The thought when running is to keep a pace that you are comfortable with. A lot of people that I know will run to techno or fast beat music. The best suggestion is to use a song with 120 bpm (beats per minute), or more. This will cause you to run at a faster pace, because your body will naturally match the beat that it hears. I have also experienced being able to go further thus getting a better workout just because a song that came on allowed me to ignore the fatigue and keep going.
Weight Training and Abs
I have heard people listening to everything from Korn to Nsync. It is very individual, but the bodies adrenaline release is related in many instances to what it hears. One of the best songs I have ever heard for lifting is 100% by fort Minor. It has a melodic beat that allows me to quickly give bursts during my reps. Another favorite is Encore by Jay Z and Linkin Park. The point is to have something that will get the blood pumping to the muscles. Music excites and allows for a person to get more into what they are doing. The motivation that is so badly needed in any workout is delivered many times by music that we enjoy.
Stretching
On my I-Pod I have this titled as cool down. I have mixes from Gladiator:(enya), and other music that will allow me to unwind. The important thing to do is to come off the adrenaline high that you were on during your workout. Something soft and calming will actually help you stretch better. Statistically a relaxed mind will allow for more relaxed muscles, joints, ligaments and ultimately body. Some people who I have talked to will get in a room by themselves and even turn off the lights so that they can completely concentrate on getting their body into a mental state to where the body can completely relax. Again the more relaxed you are the more your body will respond to stretching.
Finally, for those of you who do classes, you will be able to relate. There is a key reason why classes are always attended by a music selection. I found a great article that backs up some of these points and goes a little further into the benefits.
http://www.thedietchannel.com/Music-and-Fitness-5-Ways-Music-Enhances-Your-Workout.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment