Thursday, October 15, 2009

Benefits of the sauna


Scott Schwab
I would like to report on my first day of swimming. I definitely am not a swimmer and this was very prevalent as I jumped in and was schooled by a lady that you could tell was a real swimmer. She said that I could share the lane with her and I thought, "lady I am going to be swimming laps around you". Well that did not happen and in fact she swam laps around me, literally. I think that is why she invited me into the lane. Anyway, I found myself panting and being completely tired as I swam my laps. It was such a great exercise and one that I would recommend to all of us. I even took some time to run in the water, which like we talked about the other day; is 775 times the Resistance as air. The real story though is my time that I spent in the steam room and in the sauna. I was interested to see if there were any benefits of sitting in the sauna and this is what I found.
Burning Calories
Sitting in a Sauna, helps the body temperature raise. This increases the opening of sweat glands and the burning of calories. It is said that one can burn up to 300 calories in 30 minutes. However, remember that this is water weight and will likely fluctuate as you drink water.
Detoxification
As you open the sweat glands, toxins are released in the sweat. In this way with the temperature raised you are detoxing faster than working out with little to no sweat. Expect increased benefits of avoiding sickness, feeling generally better, and increased energy.
Complexion
The great thing about a sauna is the benefits to the complexion. The deep cleaning affects will make the skin look more radiant and youthful and healthy in appearance.
Pain Relief
The most convincing benefit to me, is the pain relief. As a body sits in the sauna, it is able to relax. The muscles are warm and in a relaxed state, with the hot room, the blood flows easily and takes oxygen to the muscles, thus starting the repairing stage with the muscles.
Another benefit that I saw, but could not find anywhere, is after I was in the sauna I stretched. I found myself sweating steadily. I was doing nothing that would make me sweat, but I felt that because my body was already warmed up, I sweat more and was able to finish my workout and having the benefits listed above.

No comments:

Post a Comment