Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The value of the sprint


Scott Schwab
The other day I had spoken about a legs workout that included sprinting in the regiment. I want to revisit the discussion and point out some of the benefits to sprinting. I think in many of our minds, once we are out of athletics formally; it is time to hang up the towel and stick strictly to a moderately difficult workout to an easy workout. Participants lift a little bit, tinker around with different exercises, and eventually lose interest and the gym is an after thought at best. We have pointed out many times through posts that you must be doing something that you enjoy, be consistent, and mix things up for mental sanity and muscle confusion. This being the key, start doing the things that you used to do back in the day(whatever that day is), or have seen others do and enjoy. I used to detest sprinting; partly due to that being a punishment in athletics for being late, talking, mistakes, etc. As I exited my sporting career I used to laugh and say, "sprinting, yeah if someone was chasing me or if I had a ball", then I would give the little laugh that you find at times in a country club setting. Not funny. Anyway, I started to look into the benefits of sprinting and doing more cardio. The bursts of speed and exertion get the heart going unlike long distance running does. This being said it is important to first warm up so you don't pull a hammy and your out for the season coach. Truth is, sprinting adds stamina, heart strength, leg power and strength, and muscle confusion. Doing a set of ladders, sprinting a forty, or mixing your speeds as you are going on a long distance run, will do more for you then spending hours on the weights. Weights have purpose, however; adding sprints to your workout will give you an edge that you will see in all areas of your life. It also gives you balance that will give you the overall health and body we are all looking for. When on a long distance run, choose a road sign, park bench, whatever, and sprint to it. Keep your run going at the pace that you were comfortable with. Also try intervals of 75% and others. This may not work for you if you are marathoning, but I can tell you that the benefits will take you to a level that you enjoy your workouts more and get the maximum time out of your gym experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment