Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday


Scott Schwab

Greetings and Salutations. I wanted to touch on a couple of observations that I have been noticing lately and pass them on in hopes that they will help readers. I think all of us can remember a time when we were in athletics and stretching was just a part of the normal daily routine before the real fun started; the game or practice. For me personally, it was never ingrained in my head that it was that important. However, in recent years I have noticed that not only is it important, but it is essential. The great receiver Jerry Rice, spoke often that the reason that he was able to avoid injury and play to the level that he played, was he spent as much time stretching as he did with his workout. I currently am working out with a group of guys that bring a great accumulation of knowledge about sports and fitness. Yesterday we spent about 30min stretching all of our muscles. The obvious benefit to stretching is avoiding injury. The not so obvious benefits are increased muscle tone and joint and ligament strength. The core muscles to the body can be built by general to specific workouts. However, the muscles that really give the appearance of being cut and providing extra strength to the joints and connecting ligaments/muscles, are built through stretching and plyometrics. This is why in recent years there has been such a push to do workouts that involve the whole body and incorporate lifts that mirror manual labor. This is one reason that the 300 workout is so effective. It gets the whole body involved and builds those great connecting muscles and ligaments. One should definitely look for these types of workouts, but also include some serious stretching into a routine. I have noticed that I am able to work core muscles more effectively and the definition is better than doing normal core lifts alone. Also I have an old hamstring injury that will flare up every year, it seems. After our 30min stretch we did sprints and running exercises and I did not feel the hamstring once. I noticed that by taking the time to do an effective stretch, I felt no pain, but a good burn in my legs that I have not been able to have, based on not wanting to pull the muscle. In short take the time to do a stretch before the workout, but it is also just as important to do a light stretch after the workout. Also include one day in a week were you stretch for a long period of time and really work those connecting muscles, joints, and ligaments. We hope that everyone has a safe and enjoyable Easter weekend. Go and enjoy the beautiful outdoors that we are all lucky to have.

3 comments:

  1. I want to challenge you on your stretching advice because it is counter-intuitive to me.... you may be right but I would like further explanation: stretching before a workout is awkward to me as the muscles are cold and I've actually had minor muscle tears from doing it. My aggressive stretching comes after a workout and feels much more comfortable as the muscles are already warm vs. the light post-workout exercise that you advocate. What say ye?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point. The goal in any activity would be to work into full production or full speed. The research that I have seen is that something should be done to warm up the muscles before intense or strenuous activity. I think a better clarification on the subject is to warm up into it. Thinking back about my day dedicated to stetching; we did many light stretches before doing team stretches and really pushing it. i.e.(butterfly, toe touches, r over l, l over r. Sam makes a very valid point. If you are going to do a stenous activity, do something to warm up the muscles. Before you go on runs, bike rides, and swimming, do you do anything beforehand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I haven't ever done anything before swim/bike/running but on Saturday, after reading this post I did a light stretch before running and felt good. I'm going to take and test your advice and report back in a month. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete