Monday, April 20, 2009

Dieting tips


Scott Schwab

I have noticed over this weekend a couple of things that myself and others do that prevent us from a healthy diet. Every weekend I notice a trend of wanting to go out to eat or out on the town. I will be the first to tell you that I love to go out and enjoy myself. However; what I have noticed is not having a lot of discipline while out. I notice that I will tend to get a huge meal that is high in calories, fats, and carbohydrates. Essentially my work for the week is put on hold while the weekend sets in. Usually Saturday is a day that people catch up for the week and at times miss out on a workout. Furthermore, Sunday is another day that usually rest is the #1 objective. With this being the case many of us begin the week behind the ball. These tips are some that I have done to help me reverse the trend and have weeks that gain momentum towards my goals rather than starting over each week. When going out, order water. Drinks are nice, but look at the sugars that you are consuming in high amounts. I usually tell myself that I am celebrating and a Dr. Pepper is just what the Doctor ordered. Well it is fine to celebrate, but I notice the trend of ordering more and more. I also drink a lot of liquids and find myself going through 3 refills at least. This is not good, and I recommend water, maybe spice it up with a little lemon, but avoid those high processed sugars and fructose. The other thing to do is order what you will, but cut the portions in half as soon as your meal comes. This way you already know that you are not finishing the whole plate. Platters have gotten so big in the past 20 years that we should not be able to cram everything in our stomachs. Although we don't want to be wasteful, and sure we can just eat a little more, right? Wrong, this starts a terrible habit, in that we continue to stretch the stomach, until that nice flat stomach that we once had is now a tire and then a belly and then we are over weight. So stop the process now and begin by cutting your meals in half. Take the other half home, or agree with your date or friend to split the meal, it will also save you on cost. I would recommend for you to do this with all your meals if you find that you are eating 3 big meals. It is not good for the body and begins the binging and starving cycle of the body. Take those 3 meals and divide them into 6 smaller meals. Buy some Tupperware and take the other half with you to work or for a snack. This way you eat less, but overall you are eating the same amount. This way your metabolism keeps going and you don't go into the starvation phase where your body holds onto as much fat as it can through your meals. Additionally make sure you are drinking plenty of water and if needed refer to the blog; top 4 reasons to drink water. Try these things and I can guarantee that you will see results. In this way you will realize that eventually you will be eating smaller meals, avoiding sugars through drinks, and your stomach will actually shrink in size. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment