Saturday, April 18, 2009


Alissa Williams

It has always been habitual for me to be physically fit and active, until last summer when I moved away, started school and life got a little crazy. In high school I had early morning dance practice, after school track practice, fitness classes and a gym membership that kept me constantly active. When I started to realize that I wasn’t spending over half of my day doing some sort of physical activity I realized I needed to start paying attention to my diet, getting enough sleep and making it important to get in the gym as much as possible. As I started to figure out my schedule, it was very imperative to prioritize and improvise. If I don’t get the chance to get to the gym I would make sure to do some things during the day, little by little. These things included, calf raises while standing at work or school, wall sits while waiting for my dinner to cook, and/or sit ups and push-ups before bed, I know it sounds a little silly, but if I at least do simple things like that, I feel a little better about myself. As for my diet I didn’t change it drastically, I just made sure that my intake included a variety of the essentials, and was sparse on all the “non-essentials”. I never have been a huge breakfast eater over the last couple of years, but I’ve made it a point to never skip that meal or any other meals ever. I like to think of it this way: eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a princess and dinner like a queen and that’s what satisfies me. It can be different for everyone; these things just seem to work the best for me. So all in all, the main things that I have to work on to maintain a healthy mind and body, are self discipline, creativity, a reasonable schedule and goals, and being as consistent as I can be with what works for me!

1 comment:

  1. Nicely said. I think all of us have the shock, similar to sticker shock, when schedules change and exercise cant be as much a part of our life as we would hope. You gave great advice and tips for all of us. From those starting out with a schedule to those who have gotten out of a schedule, and finally those in a schedule; this is sound advice.

    ReplyDelete