Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Transform Adversity into Energy


Chandi Schwab
I am currently reading Body for Life and Love it by the way. I got the book from my mom over Thanksgiving. There is a segment on Transforming Adversity into Energy that I really appreciated. I will summarize it for you. See what you think.
Picture all aspects of your life coming together.You have successfully transformed your patterns of action and are moving forward with all of your goals. You are looking better each week. That stubborn belly fat is melting away and muscle is forming in its place. You are well on your way to a better life. You feel unstoppable until...the "unexpected" happens. Adversity strikes. You are blindsided by a bad hit.
These hits can come from any direction. Maybe an injury that makes it difficult to excercise. The loss of your job or a failed business venture. An illness, the end of a relationship, or worst of all a personal tragedy. Adversity hits all of us at some point or many points in our lives. It can often times send us into a whirlwind where one thing after another doesn't go our way.
Unfortunately we can't always prevent misfortune. But what we can do is expect adversity as an inevitable part of life. It is through our misfortunes that we grow. Those who succeed despite adversity become an inspiration.
As hard as it may be it is crucial to evaluate ourselves when adversity strikes. Mentally prepare the steps needed to turn a negative situation into a postive one. When you look at adversity this way you realize misfortune can be a bridge, not a barricade, to greater achievements. this will also create an immediate boost of energy that is perfect for going out and getting exercise. It is a beautiful cycle because people who exercise are generally happy. So, when adversity strikes don't let it stop you!!

1 comment:

  1. What a great post, Chandi. Last night my boyfriend and I flipped our truck while trying to avoid hitting a moose on the road. Thankfully, everyone including the moose is just fine. But after we got everything taken care of all I wanted to do was stuff my face with breads, chocolate, any kind of comfort food I could find - and only 2 days ago I had commited to the 8 week challenge! Ultimately, I decided that those food would bring me down and at that time, I didn't want to feel any lower. It helps to remember that healthy eating and exercise IS the treat and comfort that I need in difficult times. Bad food and not exercising only makes the situation worse.

    ReplyDelete