Wednesday, December 9, 2009

guest post


Erin Taylor
As a 48 year old mother of 9 children, fitness has always been important to me. When I am exercising regularly, I find am better able to meet life's challenges both on an emotional and physical level. That doesn't mean that I have always been what I have felt to be my ideal weight, in fact it seems that seldom seems to be the case these days. When I was younger, I was able to eat anything I wanted and I found that if I exercised regularly I could keep the weight off, or take the weight off as was needed. After the birth of each baby, I would start into an exercises program and would be able to get back to my normal weight in about 6 months. Well that was the first four babies. After gaining nearly 50 lbs with baby #5, I never really was able to totally get my weight back to where I had started. I have come to realize that our bodies change as we mature. What used to be the ideal weight for us is sometimes no longer feasible and wouldn't even look healthy for us. We need to re-evaluate what is best for us and set our goals accordingly. For me, the top priority is to be fit. Over the years I have tried several different programs and have come up with a kind of mix of what works best for me. A lot of what I do has been influenced by Bill Phillips "Body for Life" program.
I had heard that lifting weights is crucial to maintain bone density and muscle mass and to help us burn fat efficiently. I would go to the gym and do 12 reps of every machine and call it good. I found I was just spinning my wheels though, as I wasn't really seeing any results. I learned that doing several sets, working on specific muscle groups brings the muscle to fatigue at the point where results improve. I lift weights 3 times a week, every other day. I alternate working on upper body and lower body. With each muscle group, I start with 12 reps at weight that on a scale of 1-10 is around a 5 in my ability to lift with proper form. I wait one minute between each set. My next set will be 10 reps at a higher weight, then 8 reps at a higher weight and finally 6 reps lifting as much weight as I am able. After waiting another minute I go back down to where I was lifting the 8 or 10 reps and do 12 reps again at that weight, then switch to a different kind of lift but still in the same muscle group and do another 12 reps. This maximizes the muscle fatigue and burns the most calories throughout the day. I wait 2 minutes before going on to the next muscle group.
Waiting between reps is what has been the hardest thing for me. I am not the sit around and wait kind of gal. I have had so many people tell me that they would exercise, but they just don't have time. It's a matter of making time and scheduling your day so that it is a priority for you. What works best for me, is working with free weights at home. Making time means simply getting up a half hour earlier. On my lifting days I have my weights and my workout ball, (I use the workout ball in place of a bench) right with me in the kitchen. As I make breakfast and the kids sack lunches, I also lift weights. I set the timer for 1 minute between sets, and 2 minutes between muscle groups, and scurry around the kitchen getting the lunches and breakfast together between sets. By the time the kids come down for breakfast, I have my workout completed! On the days I do cardio, I have most of the lunches put together the night before. I get up a half hour before I have to start breakfast and in this cold weather, I work out on the eliptical machine. Twenty minutes of cardio done properly can do more good then an hour done improperly. I treat my cardio the same as lifting, doing 1 minute at a lower level of intensity and each minute increasing my intensity until at minute 5 I am working at almost full capability. Then going back to a lower intensity and each minute working back up to full intensity for another 5 minutes. This works whether you are running, swimming, doing the elyptical or what ever means of cardio you choose. It maximizes your workout.
My rules for eating are to eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day, and avoid foods that are high in simple carbohydrates, and focus on proteins and complex carbs. The rule of thumb is a serving is the size of your fist. Include a protein and a complex carb like whole wheat or veggies at each meal, adding another veggie to two or three meals. I have found that if I give myself one free day per week, where I can indulge in whatever food I want, it is easier not cheat through out the rest of the week. I try to look at my week and see what is happening that week where I might want to make a certain day my free day. I eat what ever I want on that day. The other days, I just tell myself I will wait until my free day. Do I ever have weeks where I find I am having 2 or 3 free days? Of course. None of us are perfect all of the time. The important thing is to never give up. Just get back on the horse and keep on riding.

1 comment:

  1. What an excellent post! I find it inspiring to read stories from people who have made fitness and good health a priority for most of their lives. As you said, none of us are perfect or absolutely consistent with exercise and diet, but the point is to keep trying!

    ReplyDelete