Thursday, January 12, 2012

Stephanies updates

Stephanie Crandall:
Time for an update! I get measurements next Monday, so I don't have anything too exciting for today, as far as impressive numbers =) The past couple weeks, I've really been psychologically struggling with this training. I've felt a bit tired, burned out, frustrated at not seeing quick results, and then I got sick. Not a great combination! But it's these times when we're tested that we can really come out stronger, so I'm trying to stay positive and pumped up, because I know that I really am making progress, even if it's slow. I have days where I feel like I'm looking good & toned, and then other days I feel like my jeans are tight, or the scale's higher and it's just a vicious cycle of wondering if all my hard work is enough.




BUT, apparently my back is really gettin good! This was an "up" day....


Yep, I've become quite manly ;) Please don't judge





A lot of people have asked about my diet, which really is crucial to slimming down. The bottom line, people- is calories. I've been racking my brain the past week, wondering if I'm eating clean enough, and if I'm eating the right types of foods at the right times. My trainer confirmed it for me this morning- Yes, eating healthy is important, but ultimately if you keep your caloric intake low, the body fat will come down. Law of Thermodynamics.



That being said, here's a little sample of some low-cal meals!



My dinner the other night:

Basil pesto tilapia from Costco- SO GOOD! It's easy, convenient, relatively inexpensive, and a very tasty protein source. Add some veggies (asparagus with garlic and cucumbers) plus my protein muffins (recipe below).

Keep in mind, this is only around 250-275 calories. I eat several meals (not just 3!!) with this amount of food, to keep it around 1400 total.



Next day dinner:

"Fried"chicken- It's really chicken tenderloins in crushed Fiber One cereal, ranch packet, and parmesan, and baked. A veggie (cucumber with vinegar- so tasty!) and a fruit.




I eat plenty of oatmeal, eggs, cereal, fruit for breakfast. I'll make healthy pizzas for lunch with whole wheat sandwich thins for the crust. My snacks include rice cakes, mini Luna bars, whole grain crackers, almonds, fruits, celery with PB, etc.


Many people ask if I'm cutting carbs and the answer is NO... I could never last through my workouts if I didn't have carbohydrates in me, plus I get low blood sugar. I just try to stay away from refined sugars and flours, and just keep it at whole grains.


Just so ya'll know- yes I totally slip up. I do snack on things I shouldn't, like my son's Orange chicken today from Panda Express! But at the end of the day, 90% of my food is healthy, and if I stay in my calorie range, I'll be just fine!





My trainer's wife has concocted a lot of delicious, clean recipes, and one of my favorites are


Protein muffins. Sounds gross, but I assure you, they're tasty. Literally fat free, and very filling. Try em out =)





Protein Muffins


1 cup rolled oats


1 cup fat free milk


1 cup whole wheat flour


1/2 cup brown sugar (I've used a splenda blend, which is healthier, but not quite as tasty)


2/3 cup applesauce unsweetened


2 egg whites


1 tsp baking powder


1/2 tsp baking soda


6-7 TBSP protein powder (any kind will do, I like chocolate)


1/2 tsp salt





Combine oats and milk in a bowl and soak for about 45 min. Combine oat mixture with applesauce and eggs and mix until combined. In another bowl, whisk dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients just until combined. Bake at 400 for 20-25 min.

1 comment:

  1. your back looks AWESOME! not manly, but VERY toned & fit! thanks for the meal tips too!

    ReplyDelete