Thursday, May 27, 2010

Lunge into fitness!


Chandi Schwab

We all have different areas of our body that we want to improve. I don't think any of us would deny a little lift in our buns and thinner toned legs. There are other great benefits to lunges and here are a few of them...
1)Strengthening and toning of the gluts, quadriceps, and hamstrings
2)Excellent for improving posture
3)Core training
4)Improves balance and coordination
5)Strengthens arms if weights are used
How to properly do a Lunge
Start with feet next to each other, with six inches between them. Hands by your side, pelvis in a neutral position, with abdominals gently pulled in.
Step forward approximately two feet with the right leg, and bend both knees until the back knee is six inches from the floor. Keep weight distributed evenly on both legs, and back heel lifted up.) “Push-off” with the right leg, and lift back to starting position.
Repeat on other side.
Tips:
* The most common error made when performing this exercise is not keeping the back in a straight line when bending both knees. Try to avoid leaning forward or back.
* Perform this exercise in a mirror to see if you are maintaining good form.
*Start with 3 sets of 10 repetitions (alternating right and left.)
*Use dumbbells in your hands for a more challenging exercise.
*Perform lunges stepping backwards or sideways.
*Perform a pivot 180 degrees into a lunge.
*Perform lunges in multiple directions during one set.
*Make the base of support smaller to challenge your balance (e.g. start with your feet touching in the starting position.)

When I go to the gym I always do cardio and then switch off arm days and leg days with my strength training. On my arm days is actually when I do my lunges so that I don't over work my legs. I like to do my lunges around the basketball court. It gives me a line to follow and an incentive to meet my goals.The great thing about lunges is you can do them just about anywhere and boy will you feel the burn the next day. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment