Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Ashley's Journey



Ashley Ludlow(Female spring 8 week challenge winner)

The first time I recorded my weight was for journaling purposes. I was 11 years old. I remember looking at the number and not feeling like it was good enough. I went back and weighed myself again in an attempt to lower the number. I don't know why I thought it was a high number, or how I would have known what I "should" have weighed, but it just didn't like the number I saw. A few years later I remember swimming in the back yard with a friend who was a grade older than me and comparing myself to her. I was bigger, heavier, and (I thought) not as pretty. I believe that this is when my problems with dieting began. I constantly worried about my size and weight throughout jr. high and high school. I created a bad body image and a bad relationship with food. I gained the freshman fifteen in college, and even more weight when I got engaged. Then we went on a cruise for our honeymoon and I put on more weight, followed by multiple pregnancies. It wasn't until after my second child was born that I I truly started to focus on health and fitness for myself. I was the heaviest I've ever been (just over 100lb above my ideal/healthy weight), and I was looking for a solution.


It was then that I found Zumba Fitness. I have done a lot of dancing in my life, and so Zumba came naturally to me. I was addicted to the infectious music and dance moves and I started attending classes regularly. This was a big deal because I hadn't participated in an exercise program for more than a few weeks. Four months later I decided to become a licensed Zumba Fitness instructor. I've been teaching now for 16 months and I still love it! But it was more than just finding a form of exercise that I loved, I started getting rid of the foods in my life that had chemicals in them which I knew had adverse affects. The first things to go? Aspartame, Mono-sodium Glutamate (MSG), Hydrogenated/Partially Hydrogenated oils and High Fructose Corn Syrup. I started experimenting with recipes and replacements in my kitchen. My favorite (because I have a sweet tooth) is Stevia. I started drinking more water, and adding more vegetables and good sources of protein to my diet. Then I started discovering new forms of exercise that I liked. I also found that I got results faster when I incorporated strength training exercises. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn even in your everyday activities.


More important to me than any of the nutritional or exercise information was the way I felt and thought about myself. I've met some great people, read some great books, and watched and listened to some great speakers who've all had something to say about how much our mind plays an important and vital role in the way our bodies feel and look. You've all probably heard the saying "If you think you can do it, or you think you can't do it, you are right." Most of us allow our own beliefs and ideas stand in the way of our success. We'd rather be right than be happy. Most people choose not to run in races, for instance, because they believe that they'll have to run the entire way. Nowhere does it say you have to run the full 3, 6, 13 etc... miles. The best thing we can do for ourselves is just take advantage of the opportunities presented to us and to ENJOY them. "Men are that they might have joy." Right? Even changing our mindset in little ways can change our lives in huge ways. Here are a few mindsets that we can change to make big differences in how we think about health and fitness:
1. Do exercises that you enjoy!
Remember when you were a kid and the things you liked to do then? Play again! Get outside and enjoy nature. Play ball. Run around. Hike. Swim. Dance. Whatever it is you remember really enjoying, do it!



2. Do everything in your own way.
Don't feel like you have to do a certain amount of exercise. Do how much you want. As long as your moving, you're making improvements. Don't throw in the towel because you can't do something exactly like someone else. It seems like if someone is following a program and misses a day, suddenly he/she gives up. This leads me to the next mindset...


3. Life isn't a 30/60/90 day program.
It's a journey! Every moment is a new chance to make a good choice. If you keep trying to put a time frame on your health, you'll always be starting a new program or diet and it becomes an evil cycle. Try instead to incorporate little things into your life on a daily basis. Every small healthy step you take, is a step in the right direction.


4. Stop the negative self-talk.
If you want to make positive changes in your life you HAVE to start giving yourself positive feedback. Tell yourself you're doing a great job! Recognize the good things you're doing. Just the fact that you're trying to make a change is worth praise! Once you start believing you're worth it, you'll have an easier time taking good care of yourself. YOU ARE WORTH IT! I honestly think being forgiving of yourself and being consistant are 2 of the most important qualities you can possess.


5. Set out your intention.
Quit making restrictive goals. Instead, set an intention for yourself. Intention=future action. Tell yourself you ARE going to do something. Instead of dreaming, take action! Once you've decided in your mind that you're going to do something, you will do whatever it takes to follow through.


I found Mixer's Nutrition's blog after a friend of mine posted on facebook that she and her husband were participating in an 8 week challenge. I thought that participating in the challenge would be a fun way to get motivated about being healthy. Being a part of Mixer's Nutrition's 8 week challenge is perfect for me, and I'll tell you why. I don't follow just one program. Like I said earlier, life is not a 30 day program. I educate myself as best as I know how. Then I take the information that I've learned and I use what's best for me. I find that with almost every diet or exercise plan, there is something that I can take from it to use in my everyday life. I love that Mixer's Nutrition frequently posts information on healthy living as well. Being a part of a challenge that doesn't have a specific plan gives me the chance to use the knowledge I have to the best of my ability. Plus, it gives me a source of accountability. Knowing that I'll have to report my results to someone else keeps me on track. Being a part of a group of people who share the same lifestyles and ideals is very motivating. It's nice to have that support system on days when you're not feeling your best.


I'm not at my ideal weight yet, but I'm not in a hurry to become a certain weight or size. I'm in better shape than I've ever been, I am in a healthier mental state than ever before, and I know that I'm leading myself down a path that will ultimately lead me to better health and wellness.

No comments:

Post a Comment