Sunday, June 28, 2009

Quote of the day

Scott Schwab
Rather than leaving a quote, I thought that I would leave a quick thought about a topic I presented recently. It is accountability and something that I think the world could use a little more of. As individuals we would benefit so much from taking responsibility for everything. I have read a couple of books, especially those focused on improving self or becoming an effective leader. They spoke of the most effective people; being those who take on responsibility. I recently finished a book called Leadership and Self Deception; getting out of the box. There is a story represented that a senior manager was placed in a position over a project. It was a legal case and the younger manager on the project did much of the work as to impress the others. He did a wonderful job, and researched for many hours. However, with each year presenting new laws, these books have inserts at the back of the book so the book doesn't have to be produced each year. The young manager did not even think to check this. The senior manager had to call and give corporate the bad news and said, "I am sorry the information that we provided is not up to date and that is my responsibility." The younger manager was telling the senior manager that it was his fault and he should be the person to blame. The senior manager simply said; "I was placed in a position to oversee the development of the case. I was also impressed to ask if you checked the inserts, but assumed that it was done. It is my fault because I was placed in charge and knew that I had to check and double check everything." The moral to this story and everything in life is to step up and take the lead. Make sure that if you are responsible for self, others, families, friends, etc.; that you are in fact taking the responsibility and lead for everything, not just the credit for a job well done. This is an excellent way to find character as well. It is easy to find someone who is willing to take credit for a job well done; however, it is difficult to find those present when a mistake has been made. You will be more successful in life in all of its avenues, if you can learn to be accountable for yourself and your actions. By leading your life in this way, you will also help others to do the same. Start your week of right and build steam throughout the week, with good, healthy decisions for your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment