Sunday, June 14, 2009

Quote for the day

Scott Schwab
Due to the disappointment of the NBA finals I have been inspired to write a little about effort and hard work. I see these phenomenal athletes on the television that are so talented and could take me at any time. I do not play above the rim, unless it is adjustable; but I do give it my all. I cannot say the same with what I see from professional athletes. With any sport I continue to be disappointed at the lack of effort from "the best." Call it money, greed, selfishness; whatever you would like but to me it is disgusting. I cannot believe the amount of money that they make and the level to which they play at times. It made me think about life and the effort or the lack there of when I set out to do things. I have learned that you do not get a second chance with many things. If you do not give it your all, when will you or can you feel your best when you did not give you best. I have been reading a book lately that I would recommend as a great read for everyone. The book walks through in story form of a situation that all of us have been in or will be. It is difficult to explain so I will just give you a nugget. The book is called Leadership and Self Deception, getting out of the box. It is by the Arbinger Institute and a short read. You will get something out of it, even if you do not particularly enjoy it. I will leave this as a final thought. When we get the impression or feeling to do something we should not hesitate, delay, or put it off. This book points out that when we do that we start to see ourselves in a justifiable light. This creates a situation where you start to excuse yourself of responsibilities and accountability; as well as pulling others into the box with you. The box is not a good place to be and you will find yourself critical of others and willing to pull others down due to your lack of accountability and responsibilities. Have a great week and give me your thoughts on what you think about the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment