Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Carry on Wayward Son


Scott Schwab:
Many of you may be humming the 1976 song performed by Kansas and written by Kerry Livgrin(click on Carry on Wayward Son above to here the song). I chose this title, based on what I feel is an aspect of health that at times gets overlooked. We spend so much time focusing on how we look, many times we miss the element of how we feel. How we feel comes from our mental health and perception of ourselves. Our mental health is also dictated by what we carry around with us.
A person does not get through life without hardship, trial, and even at times, horrific events that change a person completely. Yes, I think we can all say that life is not fair and at times the option of throwing in the towel seem somewhat appealing. However; You, me, and we, cannot entertain thoughts of giving up. Our health and ability to cope with life is largely influenced by what we think and how we perceive life.
I am always amazed at all the people who endure through life with less than ideal circumstances. It is incredible to read or speak to people about life events that are unimaginable, but yet they have a smile on their faces. I believe that each of us knows someone like this. Ask yourself the question: Can I be that person to everyone that I meet? You can and the benefits outweigh the risk of opening yourself up to possible embarrassment, hurt, and judgement.
Life is difficult, and in many ways seems to continue to follow that treacherous path of difficulty. However, when things get difficult, our mindset should be to explode into action and resolution. As things get bad and turn to worse, let us find a way out, through our happiness. I know.... easier said than done right? It is a mindset and must come from within. This morning I read a profound statement that I wanted to pass on.

"Closure is an internal choice, not an outward event".

Many of us seek the needed comfort that comes from closure, but I learned today that it is a choice that does not have to come with an event. I was also reading about an Edie Eger, who spent her youth in the concentration camp of Auschwitz Germany. Her entire family was brutally murdered by the Nazis and continually she had to endure hardship after hardship. At one point she was 40 pounds and had to march to Gunzkirchen Germany. Lying with a broken back and no energy to move, a small twitch in her hand, alerted a GI who pulled her from a pile of bodies and saved her life.
I apologize for the graphic picture and the vivid words. I tried to keep it as PG as possible, with out taking away from the reality of the scenario. Honestly, we make a life based on the things we choose to think about and the actions that follow. I want to end with a thought from this amazing women who now spends her time helping others as a clinical psychologist.

"To overcome my experience in Auschwitz, I had to learn to become compassionate and forgiving. You must be strong to forgive. Forgiveness is not condoning or excusing. Forgiveness has nothing to do with justice. Forgiving is a personal act of liberation to free yourself from being controlled by your past."

-Edith Eger-

No comments:

Post a Comment