Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Telling the truth has Health benefits

Scott Schwab:
I read an article recently that I thought would be beneficial to share. It appeared in USA Today and spoke about how generally peoples quality of life is higher as they are more honest. I thought about this from my personal experience and thought about all the stressful situations that I found myself in during my adolescence and throughout time. I would like to be able to say that I am exactly honest in everything I do and say; although that would be a lie. Though I strive for exactness in all areas in my life, I still make mistakes and error, is part of my life. The article explains that people who tell fewer falsehoods feel better mentally and physically. Dr. Anita Kelly, a psychology professor at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana, tested 110 people ages 18-71 for 10 weeks. What she found through a weekly lie detector test and a series of health and relationship measures; that telling the truth indicated a rise and fall in overall health. Associated symptoms for lying included, feeling tense, melancholy, and even included headaches and sore throats. On average Americans lie 11 times per week. Kelly said "when participants went up in their lies, their health went down and when their lies went down their health improved. A similar study on trust had the same findings. Linda Stroh from Layola University in Chicago said; "when you find that you dont lie, you have less stress," she says. "Being very conflicted adds an inordinate amount of stress to your life." In short honesty is not just the best policy to live by, it is a difference maker with your mental and physical health. USA Today article by Sharon Jayson

No comments:

Post a Comment