Saturday, April 14, 2012

Boston or Bust

Scott Schwab:
My goodness it has been awhile since we have written. I decided to run today with Chandi and I think it could be the worst decision that I have made in awhile. First of all I was trying to impress the women of my dreams by running as fast as I could, however I had to stop after my lunges were burning so bad I could hardly breathe.

Well after I had some time to recuperate, I went at it again. Mostly stubborn, but also wanting to still impress Chandi with my lightning speed. I am happy to report that I did not end up in the hospital and I can still walk, well barely.

A powerful lesson was learned today. I run seldomly, so I thought that I could keep up with Chandi. I have decided to never try and do anything where I am doing something solely to impress someone. I think the days of showing off are done for me, although I did have a stretch of about 10 feet that I had a couple of steps on her. The second thing I learned is that training is good, but when training with someone who is at the top of their game, you may end up hurt or disappointed.

Both of those are now the case for me, and tomorrow I am worried that I will even be more sore. I am happy to announce that we are here in Boston, and "ready to run" as the Dixie Chicks used to sing. Chandi has some nerves, but for the most part is poised to get out and get it done. At this point all the training has been done and I keep reminding her to stay calm and just let her muscle memory do the work.

As with much of the things we pursue, if we put in the time and work for something we desire, at the time we reach the event, our bodies will naturally take over. Part of that is muscle memory, part adrenaline, and the other part is the fact our bodies are ready for action based on our training. Don't be dumb like me and think you can not train for months and show up for a run with a marathon runner.

Monday is the race and we will let you all know how she does. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers. We appreciate the love and support of so many of our friends and family with her training and now the race. It's game time!

1 comment: