Understanding Body Fat
I often report my updates on my decreasing body fat, since that's my intent for my figure competition (in less than a month!!)
I get the impression that some people don't know what's a normal percentage, what the ranges are, and why it's even important to know.
There are a couple obvious ways to evaluate fitness- Maybe by the scale, trying to maintain a healthy body weight, by the way your clothes fit, or even calculating your BMI.
Here's a rough guide for women to to see where WebMD thinks they should be, according to their height and weight.
While this chart is generally a sufficient guide for most people, it does not depict fitness. Don't we all know people who are "skinny fat"- have an acceptable weight, but they do not work out, they don't eat healthy, and who are lucky that the scale is their friend? =)
As far as my training goes, I'm more concerned with getting lean and fit.. and not worrying much about what the scale says. It's about looking good! Here's a chart of Ideal Body Fat Percentages for men and women:
From 14-24% (which is a big range), women have a lot of leeway, which puts them in the fit/athlete categories. For my show, I'm aiming for 12%... this seems low to some people, and it is too low to MAINTAIN. It's not healthy for women to have such low fat levels, as they can have a loss of periods, making pregnancy harder later. But just so we're all clear, being at a low body fat % for 2 weeks is not dangerous.. I will certainly jump back up after my show =)
FYI if you're interested in knowing what your BF% is, ask a trainer to test you at your gym. They do skin fold calipers that is accurate enough, (not 100%) but it's convenient and cheap. Just make sure the same person does it every time.
I hesitate putting these pictures up, because I still don't believe they're totally accurate.. but at least you get an idea. For example that 11% lady?? Crazy!!! I do not think that's how I will look. Every body is different in how they carry their muscle.
Even the 20% looks pretty good right?!
Here's the guys...
I just wanted to give a visual of what these percentages are, keeping in mind that you might look awesome and fit at a % that isn't totally depicted right from these pictures =)
Anyhow, here's my monthly update on my progress: 14% body fat this week. I've been looking forward to getting as lean as Jillian Michaels, cuz well, she's awesome and she's ripped. So it was a good week for me =)
Well, I apologize for the hot mess that I look like after the gym.. and also for the tackiness of doing a self-shot in our junk room! I've been working on my posing more, but it just ends up retarded when you have to hold a stupid phone.







you look great stephanie!
ReplyDeleteHey thanks for the posts on BF%. I'm an exercise science major and trying to get down to about 6%. I'm down from 27% to 14% since January. (Going by non-fat body mass to fat mass, from dexa scan) 245lbs down to 210 lbs, gotta lose another 20 lbs to get to 5.9% body fat (lean mass is 180 lbs)... I only set this goal because if it's going to be my profession then im going to need to look like it too!
ReplyDeleteI find visual aids helpful when learning about body fat percentages.
ReplyDelete